In-plant cannabis security markers
The world's first and only embedded authentication solution for Cannabis
BioDotz carbon-based markers are embedded into plants via irrigation and cannot be removed or forged
BioDotz in-plant markers enable producers to protect proprietary high-end cannabis products from counterfeiting throughout the supply chain
The global cannabis industry is rapidly evolving with more entities being licensed to grow, process, and distribute cannabis. Producers of high-end cannabis strains and products are looking for new ways to protect their brands and intellectual property from counterfeiting. At the same time, federal regulators want to ensure producers comply with the various commercial, legal and taxation requirements as well as prevent illegal cannabis entering the legal market.
BioDotz are carbon-based in-plant markers that are added to plants during irrigation. The markers are dispersed in different areas of the cannabis plant, creating a unique identifiable code that can later be detected by a dedicated reader.
- Protect high-end cannabis brands from product dilution and counterfeiting
- Establish with a high degree of certainty that cannabis products originate from legal sources
- Prevent the diversion of cannabis-related products from the legal market to the illegal market, and vice versa, and tax the product at the mandated rates
- Identify the source of products that were illegally diverted to the black market
Throughout the cannabis supply chain, growers, processors, distributors and retailers currently rely on radio-identification tags (RFID) as the primary track and trace security measure. RFID tags require physical attachment to the package containing the cannabis or the stem of the plant
RFID tags are designed to provide regulators with a tool to monitor the cannabis chain of custody, however in reality the physical tag can be easily removed, destroyed or counterfeited
Other supply chain security solutions, which include spraying a molecular marker onto the plant’s surface and forensically detecting it at a later stage, can be removed by washing and are susceptible to degradation by exposure to sunlight, UV light, or heating – all of which are often encountered during the cannabis supply chain.
Benefits of Using
- BioDotz™ markers are incorporated into plants during irrigation and cannot be washed, removed or forged.
- BioDotz™ are purely carbon-based and safe. When tested on cannabis plants, the markers show no adverse effects on plant properties or growth.
- Allow on-site authentication of cannabis products within seconds, detecting product dilution (blending) or origin (grower/federal regulators)
- Complements existing track and trace technologies, providing an additional level of security.